Thursday, March 15, 2007

ANGRY

OK, so I just got chastised for my apparel at work, by a doctor I work closely with, after someone else in the department (Dr. Palatucci) mentioned something to him. It began with the qualifier "I know this is something I've mentioned before...."

1) If you mentioned it before, it wasn't to me.

2) I'm wearing a button down collared shirt and dress slacks.

So I asked, "what exactly about the way I dress is it?"

Apparently, I need to cover more skin. Because I work with 8-12 year old mentally handicapped boys, blah blah blah.... I look down, to see what offending bit of skin I could have missed. Well, I can see... my hands... and.... my neck from the collar bone up, and then my face. That's it. So, a burqa? And some gloves? Or what? It's obvious that by "showing too much skin" he meant "I find you attractive" because I wasn't showing ANY skin and if a collared shirt and black slacks are inappropriate work attire then I have been severely misinformed about many, many things. So suck my fat dick, Dr. Palatucci, if you think it's inappropriate for attractive young women to work with young boys with developmental disabilities then maybe you should start hiring some ugly chicks, or MAYBE EVEN A DUDE. I know it's no coincidence that the majority of my co-workers are leggy 20-something female psych students with pretty faces, I just didn't want to hate you for it.

I don't mean to imply that I find myself attractive, only that the only implication the statement "showing too much skin" could have, under the circumstances, is that my sex appeal is inappropriate for the workplace.

Imagine what would happen if I started wearing make-up.

2 comments:

Stephen Reese said...

Lilla,

No need to be pissed off! If the majority of employees are pretty, leggy 20-somethings and *you* were targeted for the talking-to, I'd say it's more flattering than insulting.

I can't see how a button-down and slacks are sexy unless the pants fit damn nice and the shirt is sheer, but I'll stop short of asking for a confirmatory photo. ;)

Okay, I'm not helping here.

cattleworks said...

Oh, I don't know... a confirmatory photo seems like wise advice...
um, a photo that we can ALL see...