Friday, February 9, 2007

Bones (2001) Ernest R. Dickerson

Bones is one of the most under appreciated horror movies in recent history. Not only does it star Snoop Dogg and Pam Grier (together at last!), but it actually adresses supernatural horror themes in some really interesting and innovative ways. The premise of the film is that a supposedly haunted house is purchased by a group of young aspiring musicians, who hope to turn it into a nightclub and rejuvenate their father's old neighborhood, which has become a slum. Slowly the story of how the neighborhood went downhill unfolds, including their father's involvement in the murder of Jimmy Bones(Snoop), who was trying to stop the introduction of crack into the neighborhood. This allows for some truly awesome flashback/background establishing scenes set in the 70's, with Snoop and Pam Grier in excellent 70's getup. The 70's scenes are shot with yellow filters, evoking the aesthetic of 70's film stock and the look of old blaxploitation flicks. From here, the structure of the story is reminiscent of rape/revenge movies of that era, except that it takes the form of murder/revenge from beyond the grave. This allows us to feel sympathy for the killer, and even admiration for his bad-assness (which is plentiful). While this movie certainly borrowed a lot from classic 70's genre cinema, it also contains the kind of snappy dialogue and catch phrases employed in later American horror films such as Nightmare on Elm Street. Influences from Italian horror can also be spotted, most notably in the gratuitous use of maggots, a staple of 80's Italian horror. The film makers really did their research, and the casting is superb. The chemistry between Pam Grier and Snoop is surprisingly good,and the story of Jimmy's betrayal by members of his own community, as well as the anti-drug message, is yet another example of a call for greater unity and brotherhood in the black community. The supernatural killing scenes are inventive and over the top, and invite the viewer to have some fun with this movie. It's funny, it's cool looking, there's maggots, Snoop and Pam Grier get it on, really, what more could you ask for?

I'm definitely a fan.

Available for rental through netflix, for sale on amazon

2 comments:

cattleworks said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never checked this film out for two reasons:
1) I'm sort of indifferent to Snoop Dog (although I thought he was alright in STARSKY AND HUTCH); and
2) (this is where I'm embarrassed)I more or less dismissed it as a black film that I wasn't going to get into. And when I say "black" film, I think I'm specifically thinking rap and/or hip-hop that I also don't get into that much.
But, based on your review, I'll have to check it out.
I feel stupid.

Oh, and it's only me, formerly "a rambling wastrel, I*", having just changed my display name properly because it seems I've only just figured out how to.
At least NOW I'm consistent with the way I sign off my comments on other blogs as well.
Did I say I "feel" stupid? Maybe that's not quite strong enough...

Lilla Smutzig said...

Don't be silly... but definitely check this flick out, highly underestimated modern horror movie, and my opinion of most modern horror movies is pretty low.