Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hell with it

I've been very negligent of this blog recently, especially lame since I have a project this month that I think is pretty cool; to write about blaxploitation and some related genre films. But I have been seriously unmotivated, no idea what that's about. The only movie that got me really excited recently was not blaxploitation related, and all I was really inspired to say about it was
GO WATCH BLUE UNDERGROUND'S RELEASE OF SALON KITTY RIGHT NOW.

I'm not kidding at all, and I can't give any spoilers because that would detract from the immense cognitive effect of this film on the viewer.

I've been wanting to write about Blacula, because I love it and there's some interesting stuff going on there, but have been totally uninspired. What can I really say about Blacula? It's awesome, William Marshall's performance carries the piece and is astoundingly strong and dignified, traditional themes of sexuality and the complicity of the female victim are given a little nudge here; with Blacula's first victims being homosexual males and Tina's willing decision to join Blacula. Blacula himself becomes a tragic hero instead of a monster, he is not lured to his death by the female victim, she willingly joins him and he voluntarily walks into the sun and kills himself when he loses her. In any number of ways this movie turns the traditional themes of vampire films on their heads and emerges as a strong, interesting take on those themes and the way they translate given a different cultural context. So there, I guess I wrote about Blacula. Great movie, check it out if you haven't, available pretty much anywhere.

No comments: